Sutherland residents no longer have to boil their water to eliminate the possibility of contamination, village maintenance superintendent Jason Lashley said Wednesday afternoon.Lashley said the village learned at 4:30 p.m. that the water was clean after two days of testing.
Twenty water samples were collected Monday and Tuesday -- 10 each day -- from sites all around the village water system. The samples were tested at American Agricultural Laboratory in McCook, he said.
Lightning tripped an electrical breaker early Saturday morning, shutting down the village's water pumps. The water tower continued to supply homes and businesses for several hours. No one realized the problem until early Sunday morning.
Whenever a water system is shut off and then restarted, harmful bacteria can possibly be dislodged from the system’s pipes and endlines, potentially allowing bacteria to mix into tap water. The boil advisory is an established precaution required by the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services.
When offiicals learned of the problem, they flushed fire hydrants, posted advisories to boil water, and informed the news media.